Wednesday, April 24, 2019

A Not Quite Right Nude for Me

I am so excited by the progressive change in lingerie, foundation makeup, and a whole inclusive arena that lends itself to more products for more people.

As someone with thick hair on my head that is also very dark, I have heard hundreds of hair dressers squawk at how thick it is, how much there is, and how long it takes them to cut it. I even had one gal shave the nape of my neck against my better judgement (I need to just stop being so nice, that took a solid 3 years to grow out). I won't discuss the percentage who can't seem to add layers without making me look like Bozo.

In the "nude" nail polish category I find the thinking still is along the beige lines and any other shade gets yet another name rather than "nude". Nude is a huge range, just like people on earth.

My personal "nude" is still probably out there, or at least untried, for sure. 


Here is OPI Baring It All topped with Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Crystal Watermelon:


I think it's a nice shade, but a bit light for me, though it is fairly neutral as far as light beige goes. 

My favorite thing though is to top the polish off with a glass fleck, the base of which is a little pink in its base and thus caused the whole thing to look, well, a bit too pink.

I have two coats of the OPI and one of the SH.



I think that the glass fleck is the redemption for me.

Formula thoughts: OPI was a bear. It is a black label, and the formula did that terrible thing where the top coat dries it and then it is molten underneath: slow to dry and inevitably I ding it.

I did peer into the OPI lacquer site (they don't call their extended wear or gel "lacquer", but I digress) and didn't see this one, though I did see a blog post where someone found it at TJ Maxx, so who knows where I found this one, I think the same place. 

Their splash page for nudes is filled with a pale graphic aesthetic, then the do populate with more shades. You can see it's a work in progress. That is, to quote Martha Stewart, a good thing.


Looking at the old Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Crystal Watermelon, well, I have such low expectations about dry time, that it must have been a bit of a formula clash with the OPI, because I am sure this was a contributor. On the other hand, it's a gorgeous topper and as I thin it, it's hard to fault.
OPI will move along to maybe some stamping as it does cover deceently, and of course SH will go back into it's topper drawer.



Little Jemma update: since she has been really down and introverted due to sudden blindness we have sort of been her "seeing eye people" while she learns the ropes. The book by Caroline Levin (apparently the best thing ever) spends a lot of time on training, etc, but Jemma is sort of a little pug person who is very introverted for a pug, so there isn't any choke chain or bossing her around. Trying to make the world she lives in friendly, safe, and easier to navigate.
It's long days and long evenings to help her do the basics like getting enough hydration, potty breaks, eye drops, etc.

I have found a stash of old photos that I will be tossing out because it's always fun to do that.

This manicure is fairly recent, from the 11th.


I keep my mildly blog on the down low, but I am not pumping out all the latest stuff, so I appreciate all 20-30 of you who actually read this! A LOT!! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D