Saturday, June 9, 2018

The Weeding of the Garden

I want to apologize in advance for the state of the "Blog-O-Rama".

I just pulled down nearly 45 dead links (though there is one I can't match to a name in blogger tools, so I have left it up, sorry!)

Many are made private, domain name expired, or pulled down. I also do understand why people would do this, so I get it.

There were a few redirects, but I wasn't going through because I don't know how good they were, account could be hacked and the owner of the new link could be a bad cowboy in the wild west of the interwebz.

It's often the case where accounts get hacked, phished, or other things happen and they are taken over, so I just notice them in my own feed and see weird international news, plastic surgery or clothing, or random stuff. This gets my attention and the ball rolling on sifting through the blogs and making sure I keep them useful through pruning.

While I did take a couple blogs down that strayed too far from nail polish, that group was small, I think only two.

I have left up a lot of blogs that have been left to sit, like archives as it were. Lives change and people move on. I thank those people for leaving up old swatches, it's about all that's left these days!!! In a lot of ways they are some of the only swatches around the web.

No finger pointing!! I know how it is, things happen that are real.

I raise a glass to those who are still blogging, though. I need to figure out if I can link to Instagram accounts, or if it's worth it. More on that...eventually.

Tumblr has kind of slacked, and my feed is always inundated with stuff I am not interested in, which is a bummer, and Facebook is too chaotic and seems geared away from the calm epistolary nature of blogging, which was my intention in the first place.


Future tasks:

1) Separate blog groupings for archive blogs and active blogs, which I can piecemeal sift through as people shut things down, stop blogging, or shift gears into other hobbies.

2) Add new stuff to the Blog-O-Rama - I have three from people who have migrated to really nice websites, and are blogging like mad!

3) look into linking Instagram accounts. I think it's a viable platform with good images.

4) Solicit readers (you) for blogs you like.

I will be working on this over the summer along with regular blogging.


Though I firmly accept my lighting, photography, and blogging mediocrity (perhaps this is the key to happiness...I don't know...not saying I'm any happier than the next person, but this process is fun for me), the ability to have goals that feel attainable and are fun to try to attain.

Here's to the goals.

Thanks so much for reading my little nail polish journal!

P.S. I will start soliciting now: have a blog you love but isn't here? Please post a comment. If I deleted your blog, but you moved it and I didn't follow the link also tell me.
I am not making judgement calls on blogs, plus I may have accidentally removed one or two in the heat of editing! (blogger does not make this easy, it's not even alphabetical in the editing feature)


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D