Thursday, August 3, 2017

Glitter Sponge Learning Curve

I wanted to try sponging a glitter again and sharing the highs, lows, ups, downs, etc.

Sephora by OPI G-listen To Your Heart


Sponged on over black with a triangle cosmetic sponge found at Dollar Tree.

First off: what a delightful shade of purple! I love how fresh and bright.

So, what I learned this round:

  • Protect your fingers - I use latex body paint that I use for stamping, it makes a huge difference. Cleanup was still a chore, but it sure went much better than the last time (A lot of that glitter on my fingers is from the swatches I did the previous glitter post)
  • Let the sponge do it's job - the sponge needs to pick up that extra base so you can add the glitter without building a big soupy mess. Have a tissue handy to squeeze out the nail base between applications of glitter. If your sponge is too saturated, it won't be useful any longer.
  • You don't need a base color - I put down black, but really I didn't need it. It doesn't show up, that's just the black reflection of the light not hitting that glitter.
  • Let coats dry - I jumped the gun on this one. The sponging part went very well, but I tended to not do a lot of waiting and I think it would have helped.
  • Thinner topcoat - this went a little overboard. I should have used a thinner coats so I would be able to really make it work. 
So I am getting closer to making it work better. I don't know that it was a viable manicure because it did get soupy and it did get a thick dose of topcoat. Neither of which are the best to help it dry down through the layers.

Sephora by OPI G-listen To Your Heart has gone the way of the Dodo. I would check eBay or Amazon. I found mine at Big Lots! for $1.99 and I am glad I grabbed it! In its heyday Sephora by OPI was about $12 a bottle. It was prohibitive while I could snap up Color Club in 7-packs and OPI for $4.50.
Then it was starting to discontinue, so it went down to $4-5 a bottle through Sephora and then it was just gone. OPI got out of the relabeling business with Sephora (who knows who they work with now, super secret spy stuff I guess!).  Sephora has their X brand, but it's truly not affordable for so little information one has about it, and they transition collections with the season (and these days with fast fashion, there are virtually dozens and dozens of seasons) so I don't really keep track of it.

I haven't been in a Ross for over 4-5 months and I used to see the joblotted stuff there.

Now you know! ;D


Thank you for reading my little nail polish journal!

1 comment:

  1. Ooh, I love this - did you post it on the NB? That glitter payoff has me drooling.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D