Tuesday, October 11, 2016

When Rare Is Not So Rare Anymore

Back in 2009 OPI came out with a pretty epic collection, Holiday Wishes, that set a lot of nail polish fans in a lather over several of the polishes.

Sapphire in the Snow was one stand out, a deep, vamped out blurple.


It's a gorgeous polish. Here are three coats with no top coat.

This polish has become a classic favorite and still garners quite a price on eBay at this writing. It is no longer carried by OPI, so your options are limited.


Can't find it? One popular option is Essie No More Film


Left to right:
Essie NMF
OPI SitS
Essie NMF
OPI SitS

Personally I prefer the Essie, but dupes they are not, that's for sure.
I'd say that they have the similar blurple thing going on, but SitS is more purple leaning.
Essie No More Film is still readily available, which is good. It's even at Rite Aid and other drug stores. Win!


You could try Zoya Pinta


Left to right:
Zoya Pinta
OPI SitS
Zoya Pinta
OPI SitS

I find that these are super close. Pinta is a bit less dark, but not by a whole lot.
Not only is it readily available at Zoya, they frequently run sales so it's often as little as $3.50 - $5.00 per bottle. Not bad.


In more recent collections, from the Euro Centrale Vant To Bite My Neck?


Left to right:
OPI VtBmN?
OPI SitS
OPI VtBmN?
OPI SitS

OPI VtBmN? is somewhat more flat, perhaps a bit deeper and more violet than blurple, but it's fairly similar, though I won't call it a dupe.

I can't find this shade nor can I find the collection on the OPI website, so this must have been phased out, though it's readily available online. Nice!


Of the bunch, I have to say SitS isn't the true irreplacable dame of center stage I thought it was. I have it and (crazily enough) a back up, and it's odd that it's held such an iconic status in my collection when it has got a fair bit of stand up competition.

Of the bunch my personal favorite for the shade is Essie No More Film. The one I would not buy again would be Zoya Pinta: the formula is bit thick and unwieldy and for some reason it just isn't as hearty for wear on me. Though I will try it again with my Seche Vive gel top coat again to give it another break.


Final note: all are three coats, no top coat and I pretty much passed on clean up.

Thank you for reading my little nail polish journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D