Monday, August 9, 2010

Comparison: Creme Taupes, Part I

I've got 8 in total, I'll do it over a couple days, it's a lot of photos to digest.
I pulled stuff out and eyeballed it as far as putting it into that category. Some borderline on brown but are similar to others that are actually called taupe.

These are all taken under a daylight corrected lamp.


Maybelline Express Finish - Touch of Taupe
One of my first Dollar Tree finds!
This is unthinned, so it went on a little heavy. I realize I am losing more pigment than I need to by not using a thinner.
There's a little secret shimmer in this one. It's a beautiful neutral cool taupe, not too dark, either.

This is two coats and it dried very well.




Sally Hansen - Sandstone Cream
This polish, on the other hand, was very thin. I think it's three coats here.
Not bad, though, once dried.
To me a little more chocolate-y, but then compared to other "taupes" it's actually more "taupe-y"
lol.




Rimmel - Steel Gray
Neither steel colored or gray colored, but that color that occurs when you see that rainbow effect in sharpened steel, or one of them, like that oil stain that is muted. Of course this is just my interpretation, heaven knows why they called it Steel Gray.
A wonderful purply taupe.
I think this is three coats. My favorite of the bunch.
Plus the brush isn't bad. I'm softening up on those wide brushes, this has a shorter brush, though wide like Borghese and Sally Hansen, but seems more controllable.




Sally Hansen - Commander In Chic
I always think of the movie Master and Commander whenever I see the name of this polish.
OK, be honest, am I the only one who would pack a megash!tload of Dramamine and be his First Mate?
Far side of the nail!
All aboard!!!




The Roundup:

From left to right:
Touch of Taupe (you can see the shimmer here)
Sandstone Creme
Steel Gray
(Master and) Commander in Chic

So you can see the one I think is brown, is nearly as taupe as the one that calls itself taupe.


Almost an "Ombre" manicure!



Bottle shot:

I'm still working on my Photoshop Elements skills, so the titling is a little iffy hither and yon.
All photos can be enlarged, too.

Thanks for looking at my little nail polish journal!

6 comments:

  1. Great comparison post! Touch of Taupe and Sandstone Creme are two great finds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    For a Dollar, they satisfy my "taupe" need for a "particular" polish. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i really liked this post. i actually got the steel grey one. and was thinking of getting more grey/taupea! i have 2 greys now! the sally one is a complete dupe of rimmel! imo! lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!!!
    Score on the dupe of the Rimmel! It's my favorite, of course the SH was pretty thin and the Maybelline is thick, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love Rimmel Steel Grey. I loved the color on me, and I think this is the best brush I've ever used. I just wish they had a larger range of colors.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your comment ABOP!
    I hope they do come out with more, too! I totally agree the formula and brush are really nice to work with!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D