Thursday, April 12, 2018

Old and Original

When indies got things rolling, they made a lot of glitter polishes.

Glitter seems to be out of favor in lieu of holo, multichrome, and duochrome, as well as more traditional finishes.

I think it seems to stem from a few things. Instead of a long discursive paragraph, I thought I'd throw some chart action up:


As you have deduced, my numbers aren't real, but I think there are just too many people wrestling with that glitter removal who burned out not realizing there were things like scrubby tubs, foil methods, etc.
Plus the various tastes.
I didn't add that there are people who love glitter. Like me!

Here's an oldie that really started the marriage of a crelly and glitter as a serious glitter category

Pretty and Polished Jawbreaker


While this combination seems fairly generic now, it was an eye popper. I've got three coats here and it's a delightful formula, very easy to work with. some shaking and rolling was in order, but I also notice I missed some of the big square glitters, a symptom of them sticking to the side of the bottle.

The soft off-white shade, with the scattered glitters really evokes that lovely old school candy feeling.

It needs a good shake, but it's fine after a bit of patience.

Where to buy. Well, Pretty and Polished has a Facebook page with activity through the end of 2017, but the Etsy shop is gone, despite a direct link from that page. It's hard to say. The market is near saturation, the buyers are mercurial, slavishly following one brand to the expense of very original work, then in a trice shifting loyalty. It's exhausting.

Meanwhile if you can find a bottle, do check it out. I also suggest checking out KBShimmer, who has held the torch for gorgeous crelly glitters.

Let me spend a little time talking about removal. It can be challenging. The glitter will not enable the remover to get beneath it and break up the polish below. This is the crux of the issue when trying to get the last glitters off.

I suggest using the foil method (blogged here). There is also the Cutex Twist and Scrub, with it's refillable sponge immersed in acetone or acetone free remover. Very effective I hear. There is the Reesa Method, mentioned on the Makeup Alley message board, with google I find one image and a phantom site that looks like it borrowed things. If you google "silicone finger protectors" you will find an array of choices. The goal being to cover the cotton - or whatever you use - to prevent evaporation prior to letting the remover react with your nail polish. This makes your polish remover far more effective.

I hope this helps!

Thanks for reading my little nail polish journal! 

1 comment:

  1. I miss the golden era of indie glitters. And mainstream glitters. I bet we'll see mainstream come back around at some point. Not sure about indies ... that market has gotten too chaotic for me to follow.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D