Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Cinema Nails: Caberet's Sally Bowles Green

Many times I see movies and I see cool nail colors.

I only wish black and white movies came with production notes on polish colors used, though I am supposing there would be a bunch of reds and corals on the list. I think old adverts and glam shots might be a good way to see what was au currant.

Tonight I saw a bit of Caberet on Turner Classic Movies. I grabbed my camera and got a few shots of Liza Minelli playing Sally Bowles:



Per Google, Christopher Isherwood describes Sally's hands a painted in an emerald green which brought attention to her cigarette stained and dirty "like a little girl's" hands. Poor Sally, she tries so hard.


Let's face it, she was a hack and a prostitute, but the movie transcends such a depressing little story and makes Sally rather eternal.
I am not sure what they used, nor if these are just glue on.

If you can see it, do. The music is wonderful, and it shows a period of time with a wise backward glance I only wish the world had had back then.  I read Eric Larson's In the Garden of the Beast, and the blind eye toward what was happening is always a shock to realize.

While on this topic find The Mortal Storm, an excellent Jimmy Stewart movie that shows a rare glance into what was happening in Germany before the war by a Hollywood that pretty much for the most part ignored what was going on (their silence on the horrifying changes going on, in retrospect, is still a tragedy, although Hayes was enforced, there were many directors who did a allow their work to present more than empty entertainment)

Caberet was beat by the Godfather for an Oscar - which I think it should have won, but I'm not a super big Godfather fan. I admit, I love a Broadway production where the songs move the plot along!


Here are a couple of greens that would make Sally proud:



Calvin Klein Emerald Green




Sally Hansen Red Opal 06


I hope to make this a periodic installment here on the blog. Photographing TV was something my 3rd grade friend's big sister would do when she was watching roller derby. ;D

Thanks for reading my little nail polish journal!

1 comment:

  1. In 1974, I found the probable nail colour used in the film. It was an emerald green (have forgotten the colour name) with a bit of frost to it, and it was by designer Mary Quant. I found it in a Hollywood Boulevard clothing shop called "Ants 'n Pants" one night, and applied it to my own long nails next day. I was then convinced it was the polish used in the film - it looked exactly the same to me. I have no idea if there is still a cosmetics line bearing Quant's name, but it's a lead for hunting down the name of the hue (a UK product). Cheers! Cx.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D