Thursday, June 24, 2010

A Deal at Twice the Price

If you've browsed at my history since I've started blogging my nail polishes, you probably have noticed that I'm not a hand model, my nails don't become long acreages to paint upon and my cuticles are dry.

No way am I going to ever have longer fingers. My riding gloves are extra smalls. I wear children's gloves in the winter. To give you an example of how hard it is to fit my hands: Since my hands are not slim, but they are short, finding riding gloves is a challenge. I found Dressage Extensions had these riding gloves on sale for $1.99 a pair, all XS and no one was buying them. I bought 12 pairs. They fit like a dream. I still am giddy over these gloves! I love them!

Nail length. Although my nail beds are about 1 mm longer than normal, they whole nailbed is small, and the only time my nail feels like it won't snap near the top is when I am using Nailtek II as well as a good basecoat. I might be doing it wrong, but without those, my nails split.
So, with yard work, the horse, and other stuff, if they are too long they suffer. I feel like I am limited because I worry about breaking a nail. Dang, life is too short to worry about breaking a nail! So I keep them reasonably short.

Cuticles. Oh my goodness. They are an ever present battle.
Two things: oils and butters. No brainer. They work to a degree, but if there is no moisture in the tissue, what can it do?
In my organic chemistry class we used acetone to clean and dry glasswear. It takes water away.
My solution? Well to copy the people who try to keep moisture in nail polish remover, of course!
To my Cutex pump bottle, that holds six ounces of acetone, I add 20 drops of glycerine.
Glycerine can be found at the drug store for a couple of dollars, but man, what a difference!!!

I can't really believe it, it's a massive change. Almost a quantum leap: less scraggle, less stray edges, less dryness. It's the one thing I recommend trying. It's easy to get oils, lotions and butters, but if the moisture is gone, acetone is damaging the skin by removing moisture. The glycerine is hydrophilic, it likes water, it keeps it in your skin. There must be water in your skin, though, or your environment must have decent humidity, or glycerine will draw it out. Not so good. However, I do moisturize before removing polish, so I think I've found a good solution.
One note: multiple swatch photos can wreak havoc on the skin, no matter the glycerine in the acetone.


Thanks for reading my little nail polish journal!

4 comments:

  1. i have a giveaway in my blog come on see if you want !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I just found your blog and have some comments about growing nails. I got into having long nails about 3 years ago. (I'm a straight guy, and my newfound passion was a surprise to me, my wife and my daughter.) Anyway, I experimented and researched a LOT before finding something that really lets me work with my hands and still have long nails. It's a kind of gel nails made by Angel Love and Quintessence. The system bonds a really tough protective coating to your nails and is cured under a UV lamp. I protect my nails by adding a few thin layers of the clear or sometimes add colors or glitter, and then put nail polish on top of that. The gel lasts around 3 weeks before it needs attention again, and is not affected by nail polish remover or even artificial nail remover (which removes nail polish in around 10 seconds per finger!) Other gels flaked or popped off, but this kind is based on a different formula. I've noticed that people hate long gel nails ("the longer the thicker") but for your nails or even 1/8" longer, it would be like an extra coat of Seche Vite Top Coat in thickness, and you would not have to worry about those swatches affecting your real nails.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks!
    My issue is mostly moisture in my cuticles. The acetone disperses the oils and also removes moisture, which is a big problem.
    Glycerine tends to help.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D