Thursday, July 21, 2016

Blue Sky, Yellow Petals

Summer here has been more like spring: wet, mercurial, and a dearth of bright sunny days.

It has reminded me heavily of summer in Seattle when I lived there in the 90's. Nothing definite until the Fourth of July, and even then, good luck with those camping trips.

Today it is hot and bright. Blue sky and brightness all about.

I am really playing with my Cici Sisi plates and trying to master them, so I wanted to do a pretty color combo I've been longing to do for a while.

L.A. Girl Extreme stamped with Milani yellow nail art polish


L.A. Girl Extreme is, well, unique. It's a soft periwinkle shot through with a crisp silvered gold shimmer. The whole Color Addict line has this gold shimmer. Better still this line is still available at LAGirl's web site. I recommend these shades if you don't have anything like them in your collection. What's more, they hit this contrasting shimmer trend smack dab in the face, albeit with gold.

Worth a peek.

I'm stamping with a Milani nail art striping polish that I found at Dollar Tree. I've let some of it evaporate and I've decanted some of the clear portion when it settled: this helps immensely.

To my eye the contrast is very subtle because of the gold in Extreme, plus it's a soft blue, not an intense one. In low light conditions the whole thing takes on a green tone and you can't see much definition. Interesting, but logical.

I won't lie when I say I struggled with the stamping. This was with a very squishy stamper, so it wasn't bad, but a lot of patchiness. The design has a heart shape within a few of the flowers, but I think that this is so hard to see that it looks blotchy. (the pinky _IS_ blotchy from a double stamping from a blank spot).

I have mixed reviews on these Milani nail art polishes. I was so excited to find them, thinking that they would be like the L.A. Colors Art Deco nail art polishes, but these aren't densely pigmented and I have to actively evaporate them down to use. Argh!

I am not 100% sure this is a great combo. Wrestling with the stamping and then seeing this result isn't a super win. I want to stamp blue and yellow together, but in another iteration.

Thanks for reading my little nail polish journal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D