Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Mendeleev Had Something To Do With This

I love the periodic table, it's loaded with history. First a mere list, then as it grew to 60 elements, Dmitri Mendeleev saw patterns and periodicity, and the best part is how the predictability of empty spots over time filled with actual elements.
People thought water and fire were elements, and things like phlogiston were considered elements instead of evidence of a reaction.

Understanding the elements, how they are formed, how they react and how they behave takes alchemy out of the mix and replaces it with something even more interesting: things like quantum mechanics and fusion reactions. Besides, who wants to waste time making lead into gold (I believe last time I read about doing that, the cost made it prohibitive) when you can learn about atomic decay, which is kind of like alchemy, when you think about it.

Back to the chemistry I love best: nail polish.

Here's Vivid Lacquer's science plate. It is a magnificent thing. Mostly because it has a big old periodic chart on it!

Here's my stamping:


Base: LDL/Elle Elle burgundy red shimmer
Stamping polish: Cover Girl white, which has lost a bit of it's solvents so it's a bit thicker and stamps surprisingly well.
Nothing fancy.

I tried horizontally and vertically, while I love both, I think I like vertically best. There are some corners of the table that are harder to get, so I really couldn't get the Noble Gases or Lithium in there, though the Metals are fully represented and a couple of transition elements, too.

Here's a photo of the plate:


There are some really cool images on this plate besides the Periodic chart: DNA strands, some equations, planetoidy stuff (Red Dwarf reference), and some Erlenmeyer flasks to boot!

It kind of made my day when I found the plate, Vivid Lacquer is on Etsy, and made my week when I got to stamp with it. Much fun had all around!

Thanks for reading my little nail polish journal!

4 comments:

  1. That stamping is fantastic! What a cool plate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!!!
      It is a great plate, isn't it???
      I found it and went a little crazy over it because she was out of stock. Nooooz!
      Then she got it in, yes!

      Delete

I love comments!
Please email me at paillette.a.nail.journal@gmail.com to add your blog to my blogroll instead of posting your blog here!
Thank you!
Did I mention I love comments?
:D